These vegan nacho tacos are not only vegan, they are much healthier than their fast food inspiration. They are naturally gluten-free, vegan and free of any processed ingredients.
The secret to making these fantastic vegan nacho tacos is the homemade tortillas which are surprisingly easy. I started with my traditional corn tortilla recipe and mixed in a special nacho spice blend into the masa base before pressing and grilling.
Making homemade corn tortillas is well worth the effort. The flavor and texture beats store bought tortilla and they are so healthy. I’d recommend investing in a tortilla press but you can get away worth using a rolling pin. Your tortillas will not be as round or evenly flat but they will still be better than store bought corn tortillas.
Most of the ingredients for these vegan nacho tacos can be bought at your local grocery store. The only special ingredient you may have to buy online is tomato powder. The tomato powder gives the tortilla their red color but is also essential to get the flavor right.
I chose to bake the tortilla shells for these vegan nacho tacos. Baking is easier and healthier than trying to fry them. You can get a baking rack on amazon for not much at all.
- ¼ cup grated nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. tomato powder
- 1 cup masa harina
- ¾ cup water
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup guacamole
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the masa harina, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, tomato powder, salt and water in a bowl until completely combined into a ball.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let rest for 30 minutes to allow the moisture to be absorbed.
- Separate the dough into 2 tablespoon portions and roll each portion into balls.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
- Flatten the balls of dough into tortillas with the tortilla press or roll each ball of dough out with a rolling pin.
- Cook each tortilla for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- When you remove the tortillas from the pan, wrap them in a dish
towl. The will continue to steam and become soft and pliable.
- Place the tortillas in a tortilla bake rack and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Take one of the tortilla shells and layer on refried beans, guacamole, lettuce, tomato.
Serve these with our vegan refried beans and vegan white queso.