There is no need to spend seven dollars on a fancy coffee at your local coffee shop. This vegan mocha coffee is better than what you will find anywhere.
Vegan Mocha Coffee Ingredients
Good coffee does not require you to buy an expensive espresso machine. Most of the flavor from this drink comes from the homemade mocha syrup. The nuances of the coffee are covered up my the milk and sugar. I used a Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker.
Like I said the secret to this vegan mocha coffee recipe is the mocha sauce. It is made with sugar, dutch processed cocoa powder and instant coffee. Make sure to use dutch processed cocoa powder. If you use natural cocoa powder it will not come out the same. Dutch processed cocoa powder is darker in color and has a milder, less acidic flavor.
Make your own Dairy Free Whipped Cream
One thing I don’t see very often at coffee shops is non-dairy whipped cream. One of the benefits of making your own coffee is you can keep the whipped cream. You can buy non-dairy whipped cream at most grocery stores but it is also easy to make. You will need a Cream Whipper Canister and some NO2 Cartridges. To make the whipped cream pour a can of chilled full fat coconut milk into the canister, sweeten the milk if needed and charge the canister with a NO2 catridge. It is not hard to do and well worth the effort. If you plan on making coffee drinks a lot I would definitely recommend investing in a Cream Whipper Canister.
Vegan Mocha Coffee Process
Once you have made one coffee drink you have pretty much made them all. You have your flavored syrup, your coffee, and your milk. Making the syrup is a little bit of work but one batch will last you many drinks. I like to make several kinds of flavored syrup and keep them in my fridge. That way when I want coffee everything is ready to go. it doesn’t take more than five minutes if you already have the syrup made.
The good news is making the drink hot or cold does not require any extra work. Both the hot version and the cold version use the same ingredients. While some people like one or the other, I switch back in forth based on my mood and the weather.
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp Mocha Syrup (more for topping)
- 6 oz freshly brewed coffee
- 4 oz non-dairy milk
- Non-dairy whipped cream (optional)
- To make the mochas syrup, place all of the ingredients in small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring the sauce to a boil. Once the sauce is boiling and all of the sugar, cocoa, and coffee has dissolved, remove the pan from the heat.
- Chill the syrup until ready to use.
- Pour your non-dairy milk into a mug and warm in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Time will vary based on your mug size and microwave.
- Pour the freshly brewed coffee and mocha syrup and stir to combine.
- Optionally, top with non-dairy whipped cream and more mocha syrup.
- Pour the coffee, milk and mocha syrup into a tall glass and stir to combine.
- Top the glass off with ice and then top with non-dairy whipped cream and more mocha syrup.