Mashed Potatoes and gravy do not need butter and cream to be delicious. This recipe for vegan mashed potatoes is dairy free, yet remains rich and creamy.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes and White Gravy Ingredients
There is not too much that is surprising in this recipes. We use russet potatoes, onions, garlic, and cashew in the potatoes. The cashews are blended into a cream to make this dish rich and delicious. These are not meant to be “flavored” mashed potatoes but the onions and garlic provide good flavor without overpowering the dish.
The gravy is made with cashew cream, salt, pepper, and flour. All of the flavor in the gravy comes from the salt and pepper so be generous with them. The cashew cream makes the gravy nice and creamy, while the flour is added to thicken the gravy.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes and White Gravy Process
What is the secret to great vegan mashed potatoes? Steam the potatoes. Every recipe for mashed potatoes I have seen boils the potatoes. But boiling the potatoes takes a long time and requires a lot of water. The potatoes often end up being too water logged. Steaming will cook the potatoes quicker because it only require a small amount fo water in the pan and the steam is actually hotter than boiling water.
While you do not need a high-speed blender to make the cashew cream I would still recommend one. You will get a smoother product with a high-speed blend. I usually do not even soak my cashew. I just throw them in my Vitamix and I have smooth cashew cream in less than a minute.
- 6 Ibs Russet Potatoes, skinned and diced (about 6 potatoes)
- ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup white unbleached all purpose flour
- Boil or steam the potatoes on the stove until a fork can easily pierce through a piece of potato. Draine the potatoes and transfer cooked potatoes back into their pot.
- In a small saute pan, sweat the onion and garlic over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer the onions and garlic to a high-speed blender. Add the cashews, 1 cup of water, a ½ tsp salt to the blend. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour the cashew cream mixture over the potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Blend the cashews and 3 cups of water in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Pour the blended cashews into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- IN a small bowl mix the 1.4 cup flour with ¼ cup water until there are no lumps. Pour flour mixture into the simmering cashew cream. Whisk until flour is incorporated.
- Let gravy simmer until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
Need something to go with these Vegan Mashed Potatoes?
As you can see here in the picture we made Chicken Fried Cauliflower steaks to go with our vegan mashed potatoes.