My favorite drink to at my local coffee shop was a caramel latte, but unfortunately, caramel sauce is not usually vegan. This recipe for a vegan caramel coffee uses a fantastic homemade vegan caramel sauce.
Vegan Caramel Coffee Ingredients
The secret to making this vegan caramel coffee is the homemade vegan caramel sauce. You might think making a caramel sauce is complicate, but it is surprisingly easy. It can be made in about 15 minutes. Keep a batch of this caramel sauce in the refrigerator and you can have delicious vegan caramel coffees ready in five minutes.
Vegan Caramel Coffee Process
Good coffee does not require you to buy an expensive espresso machine. Most of the flavor from this drink comes from the homemade mocha syrup. The nuances of the coffee are covered up my the milk and sugar. I used a Mr. Coffee Coffeemaker.
Make your own Dairy Free Whipped Cream
One thing I don’t see very often at coffee shops is non-dairy whipped cream. One of the benefits of making your own coffee is you can keep the whipped cream. You can buy non-dairy whipped cream at most grocery stores but it is also easy to make. You will need a Cream Whipper Canister and some NO2 Cartridges. To make the whipped cream pour a can of chilled full fat coconut milk into the canister, sweeten the milk if needed and charge the canister with a NO2 cartridge. It is not hard to do and well worth the effort. If you plan on making coffee drinks a lot I would definitely recommend investing in a Cream Whipper Canister.
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 6 oz freshly brewed coffee
- 4 oz non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp sweetener
- 2 tbsp caramel sauce
- To make the cashew cream, blend the soaked cashews and ½ cup water in a high-speed blender until smooth. Set cashew cream aside.
- Place the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add two tablespoons of water. Do not stir. Occasionally tilt the pan to swirl the caramel.
- Once the sugar has melted and starts to boil, add the lemon juice. Swirl pan to incorporate. Do not stir. Place lid on the pan and let boil for 5-10 minutes or until the caramel turns an amber color.
- Remove pan from heat add in the vanilla extract, butter, and cream. Whisk to incorporate.
- Chill the caramel sauce.
- Pour the milk into your mug and warm in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. The time needed will vary depending on your mug and your microwave.
- Optionally froth the milk with a milk frother. This will produce a nice foam that can hold the caramel sauce on top of the coffee.
- Stir in the coffee and sweetener. Top with whipped cream, if using, and caramel sauce.
- Pour the coffee, non-dairy milk, and sweetener into a tall glass. Stir to combine and top the glass off with ice.
- Top with whipped cream and caramel sauce.