These simple vegan breakfast sausage pot pies make for a savory breakfast or dinner. They combine the best savory breakfast flavors into a one pot dish. They contain potatoes, veggie sausage, biscuits, gravy, peas, and carrots.
Ingredients in the Vegan Breakfast Sausage Pot Pie
You can get creative with the ingredients in this vegan breakfast sausage pot pie. Just throw in whatever you have on hand I wanted to use some iconic savory breakfast ingredients such as sausage, hash browns, biscuits and gravy and some traditional pot pie ingredient such as peas and carrots.
I made the biscuits from scratch and I included the instructions in the recipes for the vegan breakfast sausage pot pies, but you can just as well use your favorite brand of store bought biscuits. I used the 365 brand vegan sausage patties but any brand of vegan sausage will work in this recipe. Use your favorite brand or make your own from scratch!
How to make the Vegan Breakfast Sausage Pot Pies
I started out by making some homemade vegan biscuits. Making biscuits is not hard but it can take a couple tries to master the technique.Make sure to use cold vegan butter. I would recommend using a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour. These pockets of butter will melt while baking and create steam pockets in the dough. If you do not use butter or the butter melts your biscuits will not rise properly.
I found it is very easy to add too much liquid to the dough. You want the dough to be on the dryer side so you can roll out and cut the biscuits. In order to get perfectly round biscuits, you may want to use a biscuit cutter.
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- ¾ - 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 8 oz vegan breakfast sausage patties, diced
- ½ cup frozen carrots, diced
- ½ cup frozen diced peas
- ¼ cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Sift the flour and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Add the cold vegan butter and begin to cut the butter into the dough with a pastry cutter or fork. You want the butter to be in small clumps throughout the flour. You do not want the butter to melt.
- Once the butter is incorporated into the flour, add in ¾ cup of milk and combine. Be careful to not stir too much. Yo do not want to develop the gluten. If you need more milk, add in the ¼ cup of reserved milk a little at a time. Be careful to not add too much liquid.
- Roll the dough out onto a flour surface and roll to about 1-inch thickness. Use a circular biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits out of the dough.
- Roll the scrap together, roll out to 1-inch thickness and cut out more biscuits. You should end up with 8 biscuits.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Saute the potatoes until they start to brown and you can pierce them with a fork. It should take about 10 minutes.
- Add the veggie sausage and saute until warmed through. Add the peas and carrot and stir to incorporate.
- Once the pot pie filling is mixed together, add the flour and non-dairy milk. Stir pot pie mixture and warm through.
- Portion the pot pie filling into 8 individual ramekins. Place a biscuit on to of each ramekin. Burch the top of each biscuit with non-dairy milk and bake for 15 minutes.