These soft pretzel dogs are surprisingly easy to make and way better than anything on a normal hot dog bun. It takes some waiting while the dough rises but it is well worth the effort.
How to make Soft Pretzel Dogs
Pretzel dough is not hard to make. The dough is made with flour, non-dairy milk, olive oil, and active dry yeast. The hardest part of making the soft pretzel buns is waiting for the dough to rise for an hour. Good news is the pretzel dogs reheat well. I like to make extra and keep come in the fridge to munch on all week long.
You can use any brand of veggie dog you like in this recipes. My favorite brand of veggies dogs is Field Roast Frankfurters. You could also get creative and use a carrot dog if you like.
If you want a richer tasting pretzel dog you can substitute vegan butter for the olive oil. Personally, I like the taste the olive oil gives the pretzel buns.
What to serve with the Soft Pretzel Dogs
I included a recipe for cashew nacho cheese sauce in the recipe below. The sauce is made from cashews, lemon, juice, apple cider vinegar, carrots, and jalapeno brine. Feel free to add some jalapeno to bump up the spice. Cashew Nacho Cheese sauce is my personal favorite thing to eat with these soft pretzel dogs but I also enjoy spicy mustard.
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ sea salt
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tbsp baking soda
- 6 veggie dogs
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup jarred jalapeno brine
- ¼ cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
- 2 carrots, cooked
- Combine your milk and sugar and warm in the microwave to a temperature of about 110 degrees Fahrenheit. If your milk is too warm it will kill the yeast. Let it sit until it reaches 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir in your yeast into the milk and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes. It should be foamy. If it is not your yeast is not active and your dough will not rise.
- Add the sea salt and vegan butter and stir to combine. Add your flour and stir to combine. Once combined knead the dough on your counter for 3-5 minutes. or just until everything is combined well and the dough holds together well. Be careful to not add too much flour while kneading. You want the dough to remain wet in order to make soft pretzels.
- Coat a bowl with a little bit of olive oil and place the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl. Let the dough rise for 60 minutes.
- In a bowl combine 1 cup of hot water with the baking soda and whisk to dissolve the baking soda.
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces and shape the pieces into hot dog bun like shapes. They may seem small but the dough will rise as they bake.
- Dunk each pretzel into the baking soda water for 10-15 seconds. Use a knife to press a whole through the center of the pretzel fo the hot dogs. Place a veggie dog in each bun. Place each pretzel dog on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle sea salt or pretzel salt on each pretzel dog.
- Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 10minutes and until golden brown. Once you remove the pretzel dogs from the oven brush each pretzel dog with olive oil.. Serv with our nacho cheese sauce or spicy mustard.
- Combine all the ingredient in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the nacho cheese sauce into a pan and heat over medium heat until warmed through.