This Indian red lentils recipe is one of my go-to quick and easy meals. Unlike other beans that need to be soaked overnight and cook for over an hour, Lentils only take about 15 minutes to cook. They are healthy, cheap, and this recipe packs a lot of flavor. I often make these Indian red lentils when I don’t know what to make since I alway have the ingredients needed to make them on hand.
These lentils can often serve a base for many other recipes. I will cook up a large batch of lentils one night and eat them with some basmati rice. I will them take the leftover Indian red lentils and try to incorporate them into other dishes. It’s very easy to take a store bought pizza crust or naan and make an Indian red lentil flatbread. Additionally, blend up the lentils into to make a delicious dip, and serve with homemade naan chips.
- 1½ cups diced red onion (about ½ large onion)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 finely diced serrano peppers
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 curry leave (about ½ a tbsp)
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 10 cups water
- Sautee the red onion over medium-high heat for 5 - 8 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic, ginger and serrano pepper. Stir to incorporate. Allow the mixture to cook for 30 seconds before adding the spices.
- Add all the spices, salt, bay leaf and curry leaves. and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Toss in the red lentils and water to the pan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once the lentils are simmering lower the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- The lentils are done when they have cooked to your desired consistency. I like my lentils to be on the thicker side. If you want your lentils to be thinner cover with a lid while they cook to prevent evaporation.
- Remove the curry leaves and bay leaf before serving. Sere with basmati rice.
I don’t like eating the same thing every day, so I am always looing for ways to transform leftovers into something new. If you are like me you probably will enjoy my recipe for Indian Red Lentil Flatbread. It uses this base recipe to create an Indian inspired pizza.