If you like peanut butter cups then you will love these ice cream peanut butter cups. They are made with a homemade vegan peanut ice cream covered in a chocolate shell. There is no better combination than chocolate and peanut butter now in a convenient bite size package.
The peanut butter ice cream is cashew based so there is no coconut flavor in these ice cream snickers. You will need an ice cream maker to make the ice cream. I use and recommend is this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker. The most import thing to remember is to put the ice cream maker bucket in the freezer the night before. You need at least a good eight hours to allow it to freeze through. It is also helpful to chill your ice cream base after blending. Even after freezing the ice cream in the ice cream maker, the ice cream snickers will need to continue to freeze in the freezer.
Other than an ice cream maker there is no special equipment needed to make these ice cream peanut butter cups. The peanut butter cups are made by coating muffin liners with melted chocolate and filling them with peanut butter ice cream, and finally topping with more melted chocolate.
- ½ cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup sugar (separated)
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz 70% cocoa chocolate bars
- The night before place your ice cream maker pail in the freezer.
- Combine the cashews, water, peanut butter, sugar, agave nectar, coconut oil, vanilla in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the ice cream base to the refrigerator and let cool for at least 30 minutes. Optionally make the night before when you place the ice cream maker pail in the freezer.
- Line your muffin tin with liners and place in the freezer for 15 minutes,
- Melt 6 oz of chocolate over a double boiler. remove the chocolate from the heat and let slightly cool for 5-10 minutes. You want the chocolate to still be melted but yo do not want the chocolate to be warm. Place 1 tbsp of chocolate in each of the muffin liners and tilt in your hand to allow the chocolate to coat all the sides. You do not have to go all the way to the top but you want most of the sides covered. Place the muffins liner back in the freezer to harden.
- While the chocolate shells are hardening start your ice cream maker and add your ice cream base. Let churn for 15 minutes and then remove your ice cream from the ice cream maker. Spoon a little bit of ice cream into each muffin tin and then place back into the freezer for 15 minutes to let the ice cream harden more.
- Melt the last 6 oz of chocolate over a double boiler. Let sit for 5 - 10 minutes to cool slightly. Then pour the melted chocolate over the Peanut butter cups. Transfer back to the refrigerator to harden.