Homemade gnocchi, kale, carrots, and cashew cream make this Kale Gnocchi Soup creamy, healthy, and hearty with just a little bit of heat. Want this soup in less than 30 minutes? Just substitute store bought gnocchi and this soup will be done in a pinch.
I’d like to say this soup is great comfort food when it is cold outside but to be honest I don’t know. It doesn’t get cold very often in south Texas. If I waited for the cold to enjoy this soup I would never get to enjoy it. This soup is good all fashioned comfort that I eat year round with no shame.
What’s in the Kale Gnocchi Soup?
In the recipe, I included the steps to make a homemade whole grain gnocchi. While it requires s little extra work, it is well worth the effort. If you don’t have a lot of time you can substitute store-bought gnocchi, but homemade will always be better. The recipe also calls for No-Chicken Broth. You can substitute vegetable broth but I like the no-chicken broth better in this recipes. When using the no-chicken broth there is no need to add any extra salt. The broth is very salty on its own.
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 large bay leaves
- 2 tbsp better than bouillon, no chicken
- 10 cups water
- 1 cups raw cashews
- 1 large head kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 Ib. Gnocchi (recipe above)
- Cook the potatoes either by boiling or steaming.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl. Then, add the whole wheat pastry flour and salt. Mix thoroughly into a smooth dough. Separate the dough into 8 smaller pieces and roll each piece out into a long log about ⅓ inch thick. Cut the dough into ½ in pieces and coat in extra flour to keep the Gnocchi from sticking to each other.
- Saute the onions, carrots, celery over medium-high heat in a large soup pan for 10 minutes or until softened. Add in the minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the nutmeg, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves.
- Blend one cup of water and the cashews in a high-speed blender until smooth to make a cashew cream. Add the cashew cream, bouillon, and water into the soup and bring to a simmer. Allow the soup to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the kale and gnocchi to the soup and cook for another 5 minutes.