This easy vegan cookie dough layer cake is surprisingly easy to make. You can use store bought cake mix, icing and cookie dough to make a cake that looks impressive without a lot of work.
I have a confession. It was my birthday not too long ago and I didn’t make a birthday cake. I decided I didn’t want to wasn’t a bunch of time baking a cake and instead spend the time enjoying my birthday. Turns out making a vegan birthday cake is not too difficult at all. This is the cake I would make for my birthday.
To keep things simple I used vanilla icing and vanilla cake mix. I did experiment with two flavors of cookie dough. I made half the cake with chocolate chip and half the cake with birthday cake cookie dough. There are infinite combinations of possible flavors. You could make a chocolate cake with peanut butter cookie dough.
Ingredients for the Cookie Dough Layer Cake
This cake can be really simple or really complicated. I chose to go the simple route. I used Duncan Hines vanilla cake mix and icing. For the cookie dough, I used Hampton Creeks Just Cookie Dough. If you have a homemade recipe for cake, cookie dough or icing you prefer, feel free to substitute but I’ll stick to these quick ingredients.
Tips for Making the Cookie Dough Layer Cake
Vegan cakes are much more fragile than cakes baked with eggs. Make sure to line your baking pans with parchment paper. Otherwise, the cake may fall apart while trying to remove it from the pan. I would also recommend freezing the cake layer before icing and freezing the whole cake before slicing. This will help the cake from falling apart and keep the crumbs to a minimum.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line the bottom of two 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the cake mix, egg replacer, water, and oil together and pour the batter into the two cake pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean. Allow the cake to cool on a cooling rack and then transfer to the freezer. Vegan cakes tend to be more delicate than a cake with eggs. Freezing will help you ice and slice the cake more cleanly.
- To make the cookie dough layer, cover a 9-inch baking pan with plastic wrap. Break up the cookie dough and spread evenly into the pan. Press the cookie dough to form a solid layer. Then, transfer the cookie dough in the pan to a refrigerator to firm up.
- Once the cake is frozen you can combine the layers and ice the cake. I would recommend transferring the cake back to the freezer before slicing the cake. A frozen cake will slice much cleaner. You can slice the cake while frozen and then thaw before serving.