These churro waffles are sweet and delicious. They are the perfect flaky waffle coated in cinnamon sugar served with two simple sauces: dulce de leche and chocolate.
Surprisingly these churro waffles are not much more work than a normal waffle. All we do is coat them in cinnamon and sugar. Yet, these waffles are sure to impress anyone. What makes these waffles so special are the sauces that go along with them.
The dairy free dulce de leche sauce is completely hands off. It is very easy to make the night before have ready to go as the churro waffles come out. Have leftover sauce? Stir it in your coffee for a fantastic cinnamon dulce de leche coffee. And this chocolate sauce is a classic. It can be used for so many different things. Double the recipe and save it to put on your ice cream. Don’t have time to make any sauce? These also go great served with some Vegan Honey.
Surprisingly, I am able to buy a plant based condensed milk at my local grocery store, but if you are not able to find this product locally do not worry. You can buy plant based condensed milk online from Amazon.
If you do not already have a waffle iron I would recommend the Cuisinart Waffle Iron. You can but it for less than $30, but honestly any waffle iron will do. Don’t waste a bunch of money on an overpriced waffle iron. It is just not worth it.
- 1 can Condensed Non-Dairy Milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp egg replacer
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups plant based milk
- ⅓ cup neutral oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- To make the syrup pour the non-dairy condensed milk into a pie dish and wrap with aluminum foil. Place the pie dish in a large casserole dish or roasting pan and fill pan halfway up the pie dish with water.
- Transfer to a 425-degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Check the sauce and stir to see how much it has darkened in color. If you want a darker sauce, continue to cook longer in the oven.
- If your sauce is too thin, transfer sauce to a sauce pan and simmer on medium heat until desired consistency is reached.
- Server Warm
- To make the chocolate sauce, place all of the ingredients in small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring the sauce to a boil. Once the sauce is boiling and all of the sugar and cocoa has dissolved, remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve Warm.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon and egg replacer. In a smaller bowl combine the plant-based milk and oil. Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- On a large plate mix ½ cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon and set aside.
- Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour ⅔ cup of waffle batter into the waffle maker and cook until waffle is golden brown. Remove the waffle from the waffle iron. Spray both sides with cooking spray and coat both sides of the waffle with cinnamon sugar. Use your hand to sprinkle the sugar on the waffle and then shake to remove the excess.