This is southern comfort food at its best. Chicken fried cauliflower steaks breaded and fried served with mashed potatoes and gravy! Don’t forget to service with an iced tea.
Chicken Fried Cauliflower Steaks – Ingredients
Cauliflower steaks are a great way to make a vegetable the star of the dish. They are made by cutting chunks of cauliflower with the core still attached. These steaks are breaded and fried the same way a chicken fried steak would be breaded and fried. Save the ends of the cauliflower for another dish.
Chicken Fried Cauliflower Steaks – Process
In order to get tender chicken fried cauliflower steaks, the steaks need to be baked first, then breaded and fried. If you do not bake the steaks first the cauliflower will be too tough. The steaks are breaded by first dipping in the flour mixture, then non-dairy milk, and then the flour mixture again. This ensure there is a nice thick coat on the outside of the cauliflower steaks.
- 2 heads Cauliflower
- 1 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make the cauliflower steaks, take the heads of cauliflower. Make 1-inch slices, Slicing down through the head of cauliflower. The pieces with the core of the cauliflower will be the only ones that produce a steak. Preserve the ends of the end of the cauliflower for another recipe.
- Bake cauliflower steaks on a baking sheet for 25 minutes or until you can pierce through the core with a fork. Remove steaks from oven and allow to cool.
- Place a cast iron skill over medium heat and fill with ½ inch of oil.
- To make your dredging station you will need two bowls. In one bowl, mix the flour, salt, and spices. In the other bowl, place the non-dairy milk.
- To coat the steaks, place the steak in the flour, then the milk, then the flour again.
- Fry the steaks in the oil for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Need a side to go with these Chicken Fired Cauliflower Steaks?
I would recommend you serve these chicken fried cauliflower steaks with our Mashed Potatoe and White Gravy.